Biological Safety & Genetic Modification
Guidance and University Policy Statements pertaining to Biological Safety are available in S5/09 Biorisk Management and in the local policy NDMRB-SOP-007 Handling of biological material.
For advice on biological risk assessments please contact the NDMRB Departmental Safety Officer & Biological Safety Officer (Zuzana Bencokova, 01865-6-12927) or the University Biological Safety Officer (Andrew Thompson, 01865-2-70819).
For advice on GMO risk assessments please contact the Chair of the NDM-RB GM committee (Persephone Borrow) for advice before starting any assessment.
The University Safety Office holds regular training sessions on Biological Safety & Genetic Modification. All personnel working in CL2 and CL3 laboratories are advised to attend this training.
BioCOSHH RA forms & Guidance for work with Hazardous (non-GM) Biological Agents
- BioCOSHH template for work with Biological Material
- Template RA for work with DNA (and other nucleic acids)
Genetically Modified Material
For RAs made under the Genetically Modified Organisms (Contained Use) Regulations 2014
An appropriate risk assessment approved by the departmental Genetic Modification Safety Committee is required before any work with or storage of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) can commence. This includes both novel modifications of micro-organisms, cell lines, or transgenic animals of any kind within the laboratory or the holding of and work with such GMOs generated elsewhere and imported into the department, laboratory, or biomedical services unit.
N.B. possession of vectors such as phages, plasmids, YACs, BACs etc. will not require an assessment, but one must be completed and approved prior to any subsequent transformation or transfection of cells. However, many viral vector systems are themselves considered to be GMOs and must be covered by an assessment before they are obtained or used.
To expedite the process please contact the Chair of the NDM-RB GM committee (Persephone Borrow) for advice before starting any assessment. Also note that any significant changes to work covered by an existing assessment must be discussed in advance with the Chair of the NDM-RB GM committee as approval may be necessary.
- GM Risk Assessment Process
- GM Risk Assessment CL1 Template
- GM Risk Assessment CL2 or CL3 Template
- GM Risk Assessment Amendment Form
- GM Risk Assessment Storage Only Template
Every year a biological survey will be sent to each group. This is the time when assessments should be reviewed and amended if necessary. Please contact the Biological Safety Officer for advice.
The assessments need approval BEFORE the work can start!
- University Occupational Health Services (UOHS) HS1 Form [return to NDMRB Departmental Safety Officer / Biological Safety Officer (Zuzana Bencokova, 01865-6-12927)]
- OHS advice for Sharps, Splash or Bite Injuries involving Infectious Agents
- Schedule 5 Toxins and Pathogens
- HSE web pages on Biosafety & Microbiological Containment and here .